Monthly Archives: November 2014

Hosting Video Content Natively in WordPress Blog

"VideoPress, included with the WordPress.com Premium and WordPress.com Business plans, allows you to upload videos from your computer for hosting and playback directly within your blog"

http://en.support.wordpress.com/videopress/

Intended use will be to make Collaborate video available via separc.wordpress.com

http://www.forestrywebinars.net/webinars/priority-amphibian-and-reptile-conservation-areas-parcas-creative-uses-for-conservation

Advertisements

social media workshop

Hi Theresa,

I’m interested in helping with the workshop. I also want to commit to attend the meeting to help out in person as proposed.

First though let me give proper credit to Jenn Evans. I do post new content to the SEPARC blog, edit the Website, and sporadically post to Facebook, but Jenn is actually SEPARC’s lead and most consistent contributor of content to our social media presences, particularly Facebook and LinkedIN. She also does prescribed fire extension work using social media. I’ve CC’d her on this thread, in case it captures her interest and she has time to contribute.

On to ways I see myself helping:

I did a class presentation and have a few slides that have some useful infographics I collected from the Web. Might be a good sounding board:

http://www.slideshare.net/mountainsol/is-553assn5prezjessel-t

I honestly love making presentations and I’d love to contribute slides or make a standalone presentation.

A key to social media success is understanding the strengths of each particular platform and tailoring your efforts to exploit those strengths. I hope we can communicate that message to our conservation practitioners.

I’m thinking we can best do this by calling out and discussing examples of highly effective use of each social media platform, related to conservation. Bonus points if it is herp related.

A second area of interest for the workshop is demonstrate how to leverage content across social media platforms, essentially, lesser known tricks and "hacks" to make social media produce more with less work. For example, linking a Facebook page to a Twitter feed, so that Facebook Posts are automatically published to Twitter (SEPARC does this). This gets SEPARC double the exposure with the same amount of work as making a Facebook post alone. Another one of my favorite "hacks" is "post via e-mail" which lets me post to my open notebook (fancy name for blog) just by adding my blog to the BCC line.

Personally if I were an attendee at the workshop, I would prefer a walk-through with handouts to try on my own time of the various "hacks" as opposed to one hour of working alone.

To that end, I would not mind to commit to contributing slides or presenting slides concerning services and "hacks" to connect platforms.

I also don’t think we can do the presentation on types of social media in 20 minutes… we can definitely highlight "successful examples" of social media for conservation in 20 minutes, but the "spectrum" of social media is huge.

It might be helpful to break down the presentation by intended use. For example, Sound Cloud can be used to host and playback audio files. Figshare can be used to host / publish posters. Slideshare, presentations. Docstoc, reports. ArcGISonline, spatial data.

Interesting graphic I’ve been introduced to capturing the "spectrum" of social services available:

https://conversationprism.com/

It’d be impossible to cover all of them, but I think we can make a point to find successful use cases from our partners and beyond.

-Tanner

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM, Theresa Stratmann <tsstrat> wrote:

Dear Kim, Dave, and Tanner,

All of you have expressed interest in/ ability to help with the social media workshop. So here goes an email of introductions and an attempt to get us all on the same page.

Dave/Tanner – After our October conference call, by chance, JD Kleopfer from VA DGIF, introduced me to Kim Terrell as someone to contact about social media.

Both Kim Terrell and Dave Hedrick do a lot of work in the hellbender world, but in case you do not know each other:

Kim maintains a science blog (www.SalamanderScience.com), twitter feed (@SnotOtters), and Facebook page (Appalachian Salamanders), and has used various web resources like wordle.net and collaborativescience.org for interactive education. In addition, she has some formal training and experience with popular writing and runs a citizen science eDNA program for hellbenders.

Dave is the head of our SEPARC hellbender working group and runs that FB page. He works at Chattanooga Zoo and also does a lot with CaribPARC. We just recently selected him to be on our SEPARC steering committee, so I"m still getting to know him and don’t have the best introduction, sorry David, feel free to add.

As for Tanner Jessel, he’s SEPARC’s social media person and always has tons of good ideas and has been a valuable resource for us. He’s got a lot going on right now, but might be able to help a bit here and there.

Anyways, I’ve been throwing around workshop ideas with each of you. Kim recently brought up what she would like to do and I think this is a good springboard for us to work from:

"I like the idea of a 1.5 hour workshop focused on helping people get their social media platform (whether it’s a blog, FB, twitter, instagram, etc) started. I could open with a 20-min presentation on the benefits of social media and tips for using these tools effectively. We could have 10 min for questions/discussion and then an hour for people to work on their social media platform. If we ask folks to come prepare with pictures and some written text, we could make a lot of progress in that hour."

I thought that if we use this approach, it might be nice to have at least a handful of people who can walk around and help people as they have questions. Hence I’ve added Dave and Tanner to this conversation. They also might have useful input for the presentation.

Since all of us are spread across different states, time zones, and have different schedules, we’ll have to figure out how to best collaborate. Dave, Tanner – what do you guys think of this idea? Do you think such a workshop would be useful? Would you have time to help out? How would you see yourself as playing a role?

Reply to all, and let’s see if we can figure something out. Feel free to express your ideas and concerns.

Really appreciate each of you committing some time to this!

Theresa

Junior Co-Chair, SEPARC
Southeast Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
http://www.separc.org/

B.S. Ecology, 2013
The University of Georgia

M.S. Candidate, Wildlife and Fisheries Biology
Clemson University
261 Lehotsky Hall
Clemson, SC 29634

tsstrat
803-767-6108 (cell)

December 3, 2012 6:41 PM: mural competition draft

From: Braly, Bobby Ray
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2012 6:41 PM
To: Angela Majors
Cc: Jerry Caldwell; calvin.chappelle; mabryhazenhouse; chelsea.lynn.caraco; hiwarch; jskoelzer; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; nixnknox; antoinettesvintage Subject: Re: mural competition draft

All,

I would vote for the design to include both sides. This has several benefits:
1. We have seen this is tedious and I would hate to see the other side not finished when we have the chance 2. Logistically one attempt would be easier
3. I like that the mural would have greater continuity

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:20 PM – mural notes

From: Susan Koelzer <jskoelzer >

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:20 PM
To: chelsea lynn caraco
Cc: Angela Majors; Lynne Sullivan; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; Jerry Caldwell; Braly, Bobby Ray; Antoinette Juhl; David Nix; calvin.chappelle; Calvin Chappelle
Subject: Re: mural notes

Update on DOT approval. For those of you who do not know….We are working with David Brace at the City of Knoxville to get the TDOT approval. Last week I sent David the grant submittal so he would have a good understanding of the project. I spoke with him this morning and he is going to set up a meeting with me TDOT, Peggy Brady, someone from the public arts committee and anyone else on our committee to view the site and have a general discussion. He said it would be in a couple of weeks. David is handling everything with TDOT. He doesn’t see it as a problem to get approval but did say there are hoops to jump through. He is aware of the TDOT program in Memphis. He seems to really support the project.
He also followed up will an email saying to watch for the meeting request. I will let you all know when it comes.

Susan Koelzer Persona
Regional Sales Manager
800

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:53 PM – mural notes

From: chelsea lynn caraco <chelsea.lynn.caraco >

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:53 PM
To: Angela Majors
Cc: Lynne Sullivan; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; Jerry Caldwell; Braly, Bobby Ray; Antoinette Juhl; Jace Koelzer; David Nix; calvin.chappelle ; Calvin Chappelle
Subject: Re: FW: mural notes

My two cents: It’d be nice to stay on our side of “the tracks”. We could consider talking to groundswell folks about an exhibit. I know a lot of those people. Its not much smaller than the birdhouse & its closer…. just an FYI. When you have the november 28 mtg place/time set can I hear about it? Would love to help!!! 🙂

On Nov 14, 2012 3:25 PM, “Angela Majors” <a_d_majors> wrote:

These are Calvin’s notes from the last meeting. Terry contacted me last week about writing the article in the paper. I’m still working on finding a space for the first friday events. I believe the next meeting was set for November 28? Hopefully we will have a draft of the competition rules to revise and finalize then.

Angie M

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:08:36 -0500
Subject: mural notes
From: mabryhazenhouse
To: a_d_majors

See attached. May need some cleaning up, but I wanted to get it out versus waiting.

Thanks.

p.s. please copy me in outgoing email

p.s.s. Arin Streeter suggested Birdhouse as an exhibit venue. Have you heard of it?

Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – First Creek Mural Application

​From: Sullivan, Lynne P <lsulliv2 [at] utk.edu>

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 12:39 PM
To: Valerie Upton
Cc: Jessel, Tanner Monroe
Subject: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – First Creek Mural Application

Hi, Valerie,

I’ve attached a pdf with the completed Challenge Grant application. Please let me know if you must have a paper copy from me. If so, I will run one over to you before 4 PM. I can be reached at this phone number:

Parks and Rec Challenge grant for First Creek Greenway mural.pdf

September 12, 2012 10:24 PM: Last call re Mural grant application

​From: Calvin Chappelle <calvin.chappelle >

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:24 PM
To: pirate99 ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; a_d_majors ; NixNKnox ; Lynne Sullivan
Subject: Re: Last call re Mural grant application

Well, that might also depend on the artist. If one artist designed two parts, then it might make sense to keep them both the same thematically. If two separate artists painted the sections, then it might lend itself better to have two separate themes, but at the same time historically linked. Im considering the fact that artists have different styles. Make sense? You never know, the artist could become attached to the project and might want to do both sides regardless. That portion would have to be hammered out for the artists call for proposals.

On September 16, 2012 7:14:26 PM PDT, Lynne Sullivan wrote:

Thanks, Calvin. Yup–2 parts. The "part" that I am equivocating about is whether the design is one or two parts. Opinions?

Sept 16 2012 9:59 PM: Last call re Mural grant application

From: Lynne Sullivan <hiwarch >

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:59 PM
To: pirate99
Cc: Jessel, Tanner Monroe; jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; a_d_majors ; NixNKnox ; calvin.chappelle
Subject: Re: Last call re Mural grant application

I did find three typos. 🙂 The more serious problem is that I did not realize until this evening when we returned from the lake (where I was working on the proposal) and drove past the underpass that there are actually EIGHT panels–4 to a side or 4 to an end of the underpass, depending on how you look at it.

There is not enough money to do all eight. Soooo…..I chose to look at the 4 panels at the Washington Ave end as the "Parkridge panels" and the focus of this project. The panels at the Glenwood end are "Old North panels" and are a separate project. I am hopeful that successful Parkridge panels will leverage the Old North panels.

Hope this is OK. As many times as I have walked through that underpass, you’d think I’d have a better mental image of it. I guess the fact that I don’t says something about how much I don’t want to remember its awfulness!
Lynne

Last call re Mural grant application

From: Lynne Sullivan <hiwarch >

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:51 PM
To: pirate99 ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; a_d_majors ; NixNKnox ; calvin.chappelle
Subject: Last call re Mural grant application

OK, All,
Here is the complete application. I hope I found all of the typos! Let me know by 9 PM tonight if you find errors or something I’ve said that is wrong, etc. I’m sending it to the CDC early tomorrow AM and then carrying it to Parks and Rec after lunch tomorrow–unless I find out that I can just email it to Valerie.
Thanks for all of the input so far! This will be a wonderful project for the neighborhood if we are lucky enough to get the $$.
Lynne

Parks_and_Rec_Challenge_grant_for_mural.pdf

Mural Meeting Notes Sept 13

From: Angela Majors <a_d_majors>

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 10:32 PM
To: hiwarch ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; Jace Koelzer; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; pirate99 ; nixnknox
Subject: Mural Meeting Notes Sept 13

Here are the meeting notes from Wednesday’s meeting. There are probably a few typos. Please forgive, just want to get it out. If I missed something or there is a correction let me know.

Angie M

PR Mural Meeting Sept 13.doc