PARC disease web page questions
I looked at the dropbox file and noticed some of the images are JPEGS of just a few kilobytes.
I opened up the smallest resolution file to see if the Flickr widget approach would work here, if "Joomla Bamboo Slideshow" was problematic for whatever reason (I’ll just assume inconsistent height and width).
The "demo" of that option is still up at <http://parcplace.org/parcplace/news-a-events/2013-year-of-the-snake.html>, you might ask if that’d be an acceptable option, assuming PARC lets us use a Flickr.
It definitely appears to use images of different height and width – you have some portrait oriented photos in your feed alongside landscape and it seems to handle that just fine.
Based on that, I do think it would work here. Resolution will likely all be standardized to Flickr’s "preview" resolution, whatever that is.
The only thing in the way is setting up a PARC flickr account.
Do you know if there was any further discussion of setting up a Flickr to promote the Habitat in Focus campaign?
I do think that’s the way to go on that project in particular… and could certainly help out with this application.
As far as "diseases" go I can envision a separate "disease task team" photo album and a "Habitat in Focus" album.
If a stumbling block is needing a generic social media account for Flickr, we do have a parcse account that I use to set up / manage social media for SEPARC. We used that as our primary e-mail for mailing lists before switching to Google Apps.
I think on the blog type feature suggestion, your guess is as good as mine. I’d need to research it…. no idea if that’s possible in Joomla.
On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM, John David Willson <jwillson> wrote:
Hey Tanner – see below, especially in regard to the slideshow. This is in regards to the new disease page I recently set up – http://www.parcplace.org/parcplace/resources/disease-task-team.html .
Do you think this is the time to try a flickr-based rotating image?
I’ll forward on the original email that has their requested page description.
John (J.D.) Willson
Department of Biological Sciences, SCEN 630
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Office: (479) 575-2647
From: Olson, Dede -FS [mailto:dedeolson]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2015 2:20 PM
To: John David Willson
Subject: PARC disease web page questions
Hi JD, thank you for your help getting the PARC disease web page organized! The disease task team met by conference call last week. We had very few comments on the current page “look” so thanks so very much for that mock up. We now have a few questions and a few requests of you.
· You had a problem developing a rotating image with the photos we sent because they are different sizes, etc. Kathryn Ronnenberg, who works for me, could resize images as needed. Is this all that is needed to get a rotating image for the page? If so, are there preferred sizes or instructions that I should give to Kathryn?
· We talked about how nice it would be to have an interactive piece to the website, perhaps like a blog. Is this possible?
· Can you please add the emails of the two leads to the main disease page: Matt Gray (mgray11); Matt Allender (mattallender).
· Once we are all set, can you please put a link on the PARC main page to the new disease page? Perhaps that photo of a diseased animal that is shown on the disease page, with “PARC Disease Task Team” linking it to the page?
· Can you also add the Disease task team as a new item under News & Events?
Thanks, Cheers, Dede
Deanna H. (Dede) Olson, Ph.D.
Research Ecologist and Team Leader
Pacific Northwest Research Station
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Corvallis, OR 97331
Caring for the land and serving people