Follow up re: Sharepoint project components
Here are some links I shared earlier:
Microsoft Sharepoint Case Studies (what are the features / benefits from using Sharepoint?)
"Digital Visions" unit (who can help us make our site “user friendly?”)
•Web Services and Mobile technologies
· Digital Visions works to remain in the forefront of web technology development and use within the agency and has been a leader in the development of the agency SharePoint environment and mobile technologies.
· Builds, maintains and posts content on various websites across the agency from Forest/Project level sites to the national CIO helpdesk pages
· Designs custom web applications for clients that involve creating new and innovative uses of web and mobile technologies
Digital Visions Enterprise Unit (offers Sharepoint Site Development and Support):
Example “Data Curation Profile” (what are user needs / what is the user workflow?)
This data curation profile addresses a data set generated from the study of the mechanisms and ecological consequences of plants’ induced responses to herbivore damage. The researcher’s goal is to better understand herbivore-induced changes in volatile organic compounds emitted by plants on pollinators. The data management needs concern both the deposit of his data into a repository and the format of his data. The researcher shared that he needs to develop standard procedures for deposit. He also expressed some concern about the accessibility of his data that is in a proprietary format if the format ever became obsolete. Additionally, the researcher places importance on sharing his data for exchange of knowledge and encouraging new ideas.
Wright, Sarah J. (2012) "Environmental Science / Herbivory – Cornell University," Data Curation Profiles Directory: Vol. 4, Article 3.
The researchers interviewed for this data curation profile use data from the US Census and other federal and state government sources and process, analyze, and distribute the data on the project website in a way that makes the data more accessible and easier to use. The researchers also produce analytical reports that are also available on the website. The data management needs center around the researchers’ desire to utilize an external data repository to reduce the effort required to maintain the data on their website. The researchers would need the repository to offer similar web APIs to what they currently have in order for their website to draw data directly from the repository.
Jenkins, Keith (2012) "Sociology / Demographics – Cornell University," Data Curation Profiles Directory: Vol. 4, Article 6.
Example “User Persona” (who are users / what are they trying to accomplish?)
The description of a persona for DataONE include :
· Name, age, and education
· Socioeconomic class and socioeconomic desires
· Life or career goals, fears, hopes, and attitudes
· Reasons for using DataONE to share and to reuse data
· Needs and expectations of DataONE tools
· Intellectual and physical skills that can be applied
· Technical support available
· Personal biases about data sharing and reuse (and data management more generally)
· DataONE usage scenarios (see the Appendix for a generic list of functionality)
Example Complete Personas for “DataONE” (sending you a sample, attached for “Jean” highlighted below)
Completed DataONE personas
· Primary personas
o Research scientists
§ Sun: Early-career herpetologist
§ Jean: Agricultural scientist at a field station
§ Laura: Mid-career oceanographer
§ Andreas: Biochemical modeller
§ William: Late-career plant taxonomist
§ Abby: Science data librarian
· Secondary personas
§ Tina: Citizen science project manager
§ Rick: Citizen scientist
§ Elizabeth: University administrator
§ Mr. McMillin: K-12 educator
§ Gretta: College educator
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.