Blog Archives

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:53 PM – mural notes

From: chelsea lynn caraco <chelsea.lynn.caraco >

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:53 PM
To: Angela Majors
Cc: Lynne Sullivan; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; Jerry Caldwell; Braly, Bobby Ray; Antoinette Juhl; Jace Koelzer; David Nix; calvin.chappelle ; Calvin Chappelle
Subject: Re: FW: mural notes

My two cents: It’d be nice to stay on our side of “the tracks”. We could consider talking to groundswell folks about an exhibit. I know a lot of those people. Its not much smaller than the birdhouse & its closer…. just an FYI. When you have the november 28 mtg place/time set can I hear about it? Would love to help!!! 🙂

On Nov 14, 2012 3:25 PM, “Angela Majors” <a_d_majors> wrote:

These are Calvin’s notes from the last meeting. Terry contacted me last week about writing the article in the paper. I’m still working on finding a space for the first friday events. I believe the next meeting was set for November 28? Hopefully we will have a draft of the competition rules to revise and finalize then.

Angie M

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:08:36 -0500
Subject: mural notes
From: mabryhazenhouse
To: a_d_majors

See attached. May need some cleaning up, but I wanted to get it out versus waiting.

Thanks.

p.s. please copy me in outgoing email

p.s.s. Arin Streeter suggested Birdhouse as an exhibit venue. Have you heard of it?

Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – First Creek Mural Application

​From: Sullivan, Lynne P <lsulliv2 [at] utk.edu>

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 12:39 PM
To: Valerie Upton
Cc: Jessel, Tanner Monroe
Subject: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – First Creek Mural Application

Hi, Valerie,

I’ve attached a pdf with the completed Challenge Grant application. Please let me know if you must have a paper copy from me. If so, I will run one over to you before 4 PM. I can be reached at this phone number:

Parks and Rec Challenge grant for First Creek Greenway mural.pdf

September 12, 2012 10:24 PM: Last call re Mural grant application

​From: Calvin Chappelle <calvin.chappelle >

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:24 PM
To: pirate99 ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; a_d_majors ; NixNKnox ; Lynne Sullivan
Subject: Re: Last call re Mural grant application

Well, that might also depend on the artist. If one artist designed two parts, then it might make sense to keep them both the same thematically. If two separate artists painted the sections, then it might lend itself better to have two separate themes, but at the same time historically linked. Im considering the fact that artists have different styles. Make sense? You never know, the artist could become attached to the project and might want to do both sides regardless. That portion would have to be hammered out for the artists call for proposals.

On September 16, 2012 7:14:26 PM PDT, Lynne Sullivan wrote:

Thanks, Calvin. Yup–2 parts. The "part" that I am equivocating about is whether the design is one or two parts. Opinions?

Sept 16 2012 9:59 PM: Last call re Mural grant application

From: Lynne Sullivan <hiwarch >

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:59 PM
To: pirate99
Cc: Jessel, Tanner Monroe; jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; a_d_majors ; NixNKnox ; calvin.chappelle
Subject: Re: Last call re Mural grant application

I did find three typos. 🙂 The more serious problem is that I did not realize until this evening when we returned from the lake (where I was working on the proposal) and drove past the underpass that there are actually EIGHT panels–4 to a side or 4 to an end of the underpass, depending on how you look at it.

There is not enough money to do all eight. Soooo…..I chose to look at the 4 panels at the Washington Ave end as the "Parkridge panels" and the focus of this project. The panels at the Glenwood end are "Old North panels" and are a separate project. I am hopeful that successful Parkridge panels will leverage the Old North panels.

Hope this is OK. As many times as I have walked through that underpass, you’d think I’d have a better mental image of it. I guess the fact that I don’t says something about how much I don’t want to remember its awfulness!
Lynne

Last call re Mural grant application

From: Lynne Sullivan <hiwarch >

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:51 PM
To: pirate99 ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; a_d_majors ; NixNKnox ; calvin.chappelle
Subject: Last call re Mural grant application

OK, All,
Here is the complete application. I hope I found all of the typos! Let me know by 9 PM tonight if you find errors or something I’ve said that is wrong, etc. I’m sending it to the CDC early tomorrow AM and then carrying it to Parks and Rec after lunch tomorrow–unless I find out that I can just email it to Valerie.
Thanks for all of the input so far! This will be a wonderful project for the neighborhood if we are lucky enough to get the $$.
Lynne

Parks_and_Rec_Challenge_grant_for_mural.pdf

Mural Meeting Notes Sept 13

From: Angela Majors <a_d_majors>

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 10:32 PM
To: hiwarch ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; Jace Koelzer; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; pirate99 ; nixnknox
Subject: Mural Meeting Notes Sept 13

Here are the meeting notes from Wednesday’s meeting. There are probably a few typos. Please forgive, just want to get it out. If I missed something or there is a correction let me know.

Angie M

PR Mural Meeting Sept 13.doc

Draft Mural Application: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

From: Jessel, Tanner Monroe

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 5:50 PM
To: jskoelzer ; antoinettesvintage ; Braly, Bobby Ray; Pirate99 ; a_d_majors ; Jessel, Tanner Monroe; NixNKnox ; hiwarch
Subject: FW: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

Hey all, Lynne has finished a draft and forward it to me to send to you for review, see below – by the way – I haven’t gotten confirmation on all these e-mail addresses so if you haven’t confirmed already please do so so.

All,
I’ve attached a draft of the two main parts of the application–the project description and the methods. I have the budget and "who benefits" sections left to go.

Please take a look at the draft sections to see what I have missed or what is unclear. I will try to get the last two sections drafted tonight.

Lynne

mural application.docx

Sept 12 2012: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

From: Jessel, Tanner Monroe
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:16 PM
To: hiwarch
Subject: RE: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

Hi lynne,

Here are notes, unedited – will try and make sense of them here in a bit.

6th Avenue Mural Meeting

September 13, 7 PM

Agenda

Project to Date

Underpass art emerged as conversation
Interest in the idea
We found out that city parks and rec is offering grant money for projects that enhance their facilities.
Since that’s our greenway access, we wondered if they would be amenable to a mural or public art since that’s the access

Made appointment with Valerie Upton
Asked her if this would be an appropriate project
She had gone to talk to superiors – Jo Walsh, Greenways Coordinator – they thought it was a good idea. Next step is the application process.
Reimbursement grants.
Maximum amount that you can get is $2500.
Match is a difficult thing to negotiate – you don’t get their $2,500 until you’ve personally spent $5,000 Our match does not have to be cash – it can be donations, people’s time. We would need to keep records on people’s time.
Application has to come through a not-for-profit agency.

Angie helped. Community design center said they would be the non-profit agency.
They would do the book-keeping and keep all the financial stuff with the city to get the money back, should we get the grant.
The grant application is due on monday and we won’t know until 10-17 until we get the grant.
David Watson – center for community design. Also have some expertise that can help us – they also have just painted a wall that belongs to TDOT at the Blount Mansion – so they have some experience with that.

That brings us to some of the project logistics.

First, the underpass does belong to TDOT and we would need their permission to paint it.

Valerie uptown said they would help us.
CDC has worked, if that was a delay for the project, they would actually give us an extenuation as that is beyond our control in getting TDOT to work with us.

We have also found on various Web sites, on how to do this. In fact they have gotten TDOT to pay for them – there are several historic neighborhoods in Memphis.

Turtned into gateways for the neighborhoods.

In Soulsville, they have painted for the famous musicians.

There is another neighborhood simply with beautiful designs.

One of the things that we learned is that in Memphis, public art in the underpasses reduces the trash and the grafitti, as it creates something that people can be proud of.

Difference in Nashville – Freedom Riders – where someone vandalizes to make the figures look like space aliens.

There is a treatment, a coating for the murals, that prevents vandalizing.

What do we know so far?

ONe thing the parks seemed to like is the idea of having a competition.

PCO has already offered up $250 towards the prize, Lynne is thinking this should be at least $500.

How to set up a committee to make a decision on that.
That would have to be hard cash to come up with; obviously the artist needs to be paid.

The idea that’s been floated around is to get volunteers to to the actual painting – it is possible to project the design onto the underpass.

Ideas about getting the paint donated.

David has a huge old paint projector.

Like ideas about contest, having volunteers painted.

Where do we start.

Application is the first thing.

This is not like writing grants for national science foundation.

Having project pretty well sketched out.

One side – for old north knox.

One side – for park ridge.

Don’t use all of the space at once.

Break it up into vertical columns as specific elements.

Do we know what kind of paint is required?

Is this home depot lowes type of paint?

Lowes has been involved in some type of projects?

Specific money set aside for neighborhood projects.

Graning Paint
Sherwin Williams

Who can put together the list of paint companies.

Need someone to wash off the dirt and grime first, put a base coat as a sealer.

Has anyone measured the

Contact TDOT to ask exactly how much paint – or measure ourselves. Estimate.

Do dimensions on picture – photoshop them in.

Calvin Chappelle – hooked into the arts and culture alliance – help us get the world out to the 250 artists on the mailing list.

There has to be a “first prize”
What about a committee.

Art Alliance
Voices from the neighborhood – more important than anything – important for the neighborhood. A second part of this in the volunteers, maybe getting them involved. UTK
KMA
City / County
– Angela has a detailed list.

in terms of a committee to get people involved.

Everyone’s vote counts as one. Maybe the neighborhood had three votes.

They will be larger pieces of art.

Have a first friday exhibit, Beck Cultural Center

Church right in the neighborhood. Used to have neighborhood watch meetings in the basement.

Magpies is big in First Friday. In side area they do a spotlight on a business.

Would it have to be at one place? Could to the Y, could do first friday.

We will have a public competition.

Large piece as an example?

How would we submit?

A committee would have to come up with specifications for design standards – simple, so it is easy to paint.

If we get a grant, then we form a committee to run the competition.

The next thing is: how does it actually get done.

Old Opaque projection. used for a few things. Basically closed down the street one evening, had a big party, with a projection.

Probably can scourge one up at UT.

Scaffolding? Cherry Picker?

8 or 10 foot tall somewhat limits what we can paint.

Knox – Tenn rentals. Perhaps get rental of cherry picker, scaffolding, etc.

Idea of volunteers to paint. Involving some inner-city kids with the painting.

If we get all of this done with volunteers and donated materials, which we kind of have to get it done on the own, without reimbursement, if we worked with Tribe One to do some of the painting, could we give this as a donation for their help. Trying to finesse the “how do we get it all done with no money, in order to get the money. Think we can get the donation for the artist’s prize, then wait for the reimbursement. Get it all done except for putting the protective coating, then use the reimbursement for the projective coating.

That money could then go to Tribe 1.

Sell the studies?

Would have to put that into the design request. Would have to become the property of ParkRidge Community Organization.

Artist gets to keep half if auctioned.

What about the high schools too – in this neighborhood. Some interest in this. Getting kids to do the painting but not so much the design. Might help end the vandalism if the students painted it actually.

Two financed in the old city. Knoxville characters.

Could we do the voting and a silent auction at the same time and also bid on the studies.

Part of the idea of these grants is to help get these things to happen – it’s a challenge – if we are offered the money it gives us more credibility to go to the schools.

If we go to the schools we can say we have this grant and have some credibility.

Would the SEED group be involved in the painting?

What are some groups that we can involve?

Come up with the detailed cost estimate – how much paint do we need and what is the cost per Gallon.

get an estimate for the scaffolding and ladders and what not, that would also be a part of the cost.

We would also have to guesstimate the labor involved.

How detailed might it be?

Would it cost more than painting a victorian house?

Estimate a nice round neighborhood like 500 hours or 1000 hours – a paint based artist?

Murals and More
Antionette knows a muralist
Art teacher at one of the schools

We’ll come up with something – have to have the total at least 5,000 Half of it will be at least labor.

Supplies themselves, brushes, rollers,

Sense of community from roller.

Ropes for navigating the slopes? (Are Climbing up a 45 degree angle.

Doing fund and material raising over the winter, and then do the painting in the spring.

Can the grant money go towards the neighborhood unveiling?

Street party?

Everyone walks down together, celebration?

Block party, totally block off the streets.

The project could snowball. If it turns out to be a positive experience, we might have more projects done in the future – probably do a better job the second time around.

This grant would probably not be able to apply the whole way – if we had tons of interest, do the little section by the stop sign at the end of washington. Best “Welcome to Parkridge”

Who will benefit?

Bicycle Communities
Dog Owners
High School Community Students
Beverage Containers
General Beautification
Community Revival
Source of Neighborhood Pride.
All users of the greenway
North Half, South Half, not holding our breath on that.
Queried the parks and rec people

Business owners at the new standard knitting mill
users at the conner center and the Y.

Safety.

TDOT might put a light under there – could light up the public art, increase safety. (Solar power).

IMprovements in lighting.

People in memphis go to see the SOulsville
Do a mural trail in KNoxville, a “Barn Quilt” they have a memphis murals tour.

Visit Knoxville People – new name of the sports and tourism corporation.

Evil thought: would TDOT insist on approving the art.

Did they approve it in the prior cases? A way to do it – to find out before announcing the winner of the contest. Before we announce the winner we would have to run it by them.

Any approval on their part “This is not obscene, tasteful stuff.”

What sort of elements would we really like to see.
George Barber
Standard Knitting Mill
Street Cars

List of elements that need to be incorporated – corner right there was a grocery store, barber shop, a few other things spread on the corner.

Maybe ParkRidge is not an “old” neighborhood, maybe an amalgam to the historical neighborhoods that made up park ridge, park city.

Sense of place – continuity between generations.

Not just a George Barber neighborhood – element of humor into it too can be valuable.

Would be nice to include the black community of the neighborhood in the mural.

Might be good to go around and ask people.

Calvin was supposed to come tonight – he is kind of an artsy guy – we need to seek more representation from the African American community in the neighborhood.

We have this church and a couple down by the railroad tracks.

Are they members of the neighborhood? Majority who were members used to live here but they moved out. Where do people in the neighborhood go to church? One on the corner of glenwood and washington – they seem to have a lot more community involvement – street parties. Used to have a lot more members in the neighborhood.

any kind of focusing function like a church where the neighborhood goes?

Other neighborhood groups still in existence? Pockets of neighborhood watch. one up on woodbine. Church on woodbine – especially kids – afterschool program with some adults.

Outreach committee – make sure that the word gets out about involvement and inclusiveness.

Bigger point of the regeneration of the neighborhood organization happening at the same time as the re-development of the standard knitting mill.

Application Process

Application Needs

Description

Methods

Completion Date?

Detailed Cost

Follow Up Meeting with City of Knoxville Parks and Recreation



From: Valerie Upton [mailto:vupton [at] cityofknoxville.org]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 3:03 PM
To: Sullivan, Lynne P
Subject: RE: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

Good Afternoon Lynne,

I enjoyed meeting you and Tanner to discuss Parkridge Neighborhood’s innovative challenge grant proposal. Thank you for the web site information about these projects. I look forward to reading about the creative artistic approach to dealing with underpasses in Memphis and Nashville.

Valerie

Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

[categories Civic Life]

From: Jessel, Tanner Monroe

Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:41 PM
To: vupton [at] cityofknoxville.org; jwalsh [at] cityofknoxville.org; lgoerlich [at] cityofknoxville.org; hiwarch [at] aol.com
Cc: mayor [at] cityofknoxville.org
Subject: Parks and Recreation Challenge Grant – Interest from Parkridge Neighborhood

Hello Valerie and City of Knoxville Parks and Recreation Crew,

I’m a resident of the Parkridge historic neighborhood.

Some community discussion in the Parkridge / Park City Facebook group brought to light the Parks and Recreation Department’s Challenge Grant offering grants for non-profit projects associated with public parks or recreation facilities within City limits, described on your August 7, 2012 Press Release at <http://www.cityofknoxville.org/Press_Releases/Content/2012/0807.asp>.

Neighbors have expressed interest in pursuing a beautification project for the First Creek Greenway involving public art at the I-40 underpass at North Sixth Avenue.

Because the application is due on September 17, we realize time is tight to put together a proposal.

We have some volunteers in the community to work on completing the application, but would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about our neighborhood’s ideas for the beautification project. I’m CC’ing Lynne Sullivan, a pioneering Parkridge resident who has experience in grant writing.

Some basic questions we have relate to what kind of projects you are looking for – specifically, how can we make public art a competitive proposal?

There is also some general uncertainty about the status of the section of greenway under the I-40 overpass constructed during the SmartFix40 project, which neighborhood residents perceive to be the Parkridge neighborhood’s access to the Upper First Creek Greenway, but is not designated on city Parks and Recreation maps as part of the City’s greenway system (yet).

If we could schedule a time with us to discuss these questions, it would be helpful in allowing the neighborhood to submit a proposal for our beautification idea prior to the September 17th deadline.

Thank you,

Tanner Jessel